Nothing reflects your natural beauty like a healthy, white smile, and we at Santa Teresa Dental are here to help. We are pleased to offer Zoom teeth whitening to erase the most stubborn stains, brightening your teeth several shades in just one short appointment. A visit to our Morgan Hill office will have you on your way to a white, bright, and dazzling smile!
What Are the Causes of Teeth Staining and Discoloration?
Teeth staining and discoloration can develop due to many causes, including the following:
- Poor Dental Hygiene: Neglecting to brush and floss your teeth regularly can cause plaque and tartar buildup, leading to yellowish or brownish staining. Moreover, skipping your routine professional cleanings can lead to teeth staining and discoloration.
- Staining Foods and Drinks: Consuming highly pigmented foods and beverages is one of the leading causes of tooth staining and discoloration. These include coffee, tea, red wine, and berries.
- Smoking: Smoking not only affects your health but can also cause significant teeth staining. The nicotine and tar seep into the tooth enamel, leaving your teeth dull and discolored.
- The Natural Aging Process: As the years go by, the outer layer of enamel begins to wear away. That exposes the yellow layer of dentin underneath, leaving your teeth looking not so white and bright.
- Trauma: An accident or a sports injury can damage the tooth pulp, causing tooth discoloration. The dark color, similar to a bruise, indicates that the tooth has suffered an injury.
- Medications: Certain medications can result in severe tooth discoloration, such as tetracycline. Additionally, allergy medications, iron supplements, and other drugs can leave your teeth stained and discolored.
- Dental Fluorosis: Overexposure to fluoride in early childhood can cause white or brownish stains on the teeth. That’s why it’s important to talk to your trusted team at Santa Teresa Dental about the right amounts of fluoride for your child.
Who Is a Candidate for Teeth Whitening?
Zoom professional teeth whitening is a bleaching process that lifts stains and discoloration, whitening and brightening your smile. It is highly effective at reversing the discoloration resulting from the natural aging process, using tobacco products, or consuming staining foods and beverages.
It’s important to note that teeth whitening does not effectively lift all types of stains. It may not remove discoloration from trauma or medications or whiten dental restorations, including crowns or tooth-colored fillings. If you are not a candidate for Zoom teeth whitening, we may recommend a different cosmetic dentistry solution, such as dental bonding or porcelain veneers.
Zoom In-Office Whitening
Zoom in-office whitening begins with a short preparation to cover your lips and gums for protection. Next, we will apply the patented Zoom whitening gel to your tooth surfaces. Light from the Zoom Advanced Power Chairside Lamp will activate the patented hydrogen peroxide bleaching gel, enhancing the whitening process.
As the bleaching agent breaks down, oxygen penetrates the tooth enamel and underlying dentin, lifting stains and discoloration while leaving your tooth structure unharmed. The length of treatment will depend on your unique needs. However, most people require three gel applications with 15-minute Zoom light activation for a total of 45 minutes. You’ll leave our office with a smile several shades whiter and brighter!
Zoom At-Home Whitening
If you would rather whiten your teeth at home, we are happy to offer Zoom at-home whitening. We will provide you with whitening trays custom created from impressions of your smile and a prescription-strength whitening agent to wear for 15-30 minutes a day. The process typically takes 9-18 days, depending on your level of staining and desired results. At-home whitening can leave your smile up to six shades whiter!
Is Teeth Whitening Safe?
Clinical studies show that teeth whitening is incredibly safe under the supervision of a dental professional. In fact, it is considered by many as one of the safest cosmetic dental procedures available. A common minor side effect is tooth sensitivity, which typically subsides soon after treatment. As with any whitening product, we do not recommend Zoom whitening for children under 13 and pregnant or nursing women.
Zoom Teeth Whitening in Morgan Hill, CA
Visit Santa Teresa Dental in Morgan Hill, CA, to learn more about our Zoom teeth whitening. Dr. Huang and his team are committed to providing state-of-the-art smile solutions for white, bright, and dazzling smiles. We invite you to experience cosmetic dentistry at its best. Call us at 408-782-6568 to schedule your appointment or book one online today!